Monday 10 March 2014

Kolkata - The City of Joy (Ya right!)




Very recently on a trip to the city of joy, I found all joy being sucked out of me. I generally am not the one to pick faults and be negative about anything at the drop of a hat but nonetheless I’m very observant. And here are my observations over the 3 days of my visit.

Picture this, I’m on a local bus beside a huge man and hardly have any space to seat myself on the already tiny seat of the bus. I’m waiting and waiting and waiting, along with me everyone else too but there’s no sign of the driver. After an hour or so he appears, betel chewing and looking like a slumdog hero right out of a hindi movie. So the journey begins. There are more stoppages on a half hour stretch than are overs in a T20 match! Super irritating, yeah but wait that’s not all. Passengers keep filling in. There’s no limit to the intake. People are hanging from everywhere. Some are hanging from the rails above and some are hanging on to the person beside them. Nobody knows where hundreds of pairs of feet are placed. For all they care some might be stamping on them while hanging, but of course they don’t care! I thank my lucky stars for having got a seat at least no matter how small. Everyone around me had a hollow expression about them! Most of them were daily passengers returning from their workplaces in different cities to their homes. I wondered how they did it every day of every year for the rest of their lives. While the driver kept driving like he was part of the NFS videogame, everyone clung to their dear lives and prayed that they should be alive by the end of it. After a 4-hour hanging between discomfort and likely-death, I reached my destination (which should have taken only 2 hours)
Next day picture this again I’m on a local train, with lots of office-goers around me. The person sitting in front of me has food stains and dust marks on his shirt. But it doesn’t matter I guess cause he’s just gonna shrug and say “local train” when his boss yells at him or maybe his boss too reaches office on a local bus or train. A man sitting by the window chews betel and spits out of the window. The man sitting in front him protests “ki holo apnar buddhi nei? Apnar pik ta gie oi dorjae darano lok gulor opore podbena? Jokhon janen felar jaega nei tahale khan keno?” (Translation: don’t you have brains? Can’t you see your spit will fly into those people standing at the train door? When you know there’s no way you can spit out here, then why do you chew betel in the first place!). The assailant didn’t say a word but didn’t seem like he would change his ways either.

On the other end of the aisle, there was a teacher checking exam papers while sitting on the window side with his earphones stuffed comfortably, maybe listening to Rabindra Sangeet. But I didn’t see a single tick on the poor chap’s paper which was being corrected. All I could see was big big circles and crosses and question marks and sentences underlined in a scary red. Soon I reached my stop and had to climb into another local bus to reach my destination. Didn’t get a seat this time and had to hang like most others. The driver again was in a death race. He was applying brakes like a total freak. Never did he stop his bus at 1 proper bus stop and was flying his machine even before passengers had mounted or departed the bus properly. Apparently he was running late and was behaving like a maniac to escape penalty! Wow!! My shoulder joints are sprained (I hope not permanently!) I admit I’m a short person and reaching for those rails overhead felt like reaching for the stars!! Shouldn’t short people have some kind of facility as well? Poor me!

Finally on the Third day I’m in a taxi. A yellow dilapidated ambassador- the king of roads in the ‘70s but now mere junk! The bihari driver is cribbing in his heavily accented tone, “kya korbo babu, police ar bus driver gulo jeena dubhar kore dieche! Kichu ho jaye bas lathi humko ar humare gadi ko pode!” (Translation: what to say sir, these police and bus drivers have made our living hell. Anything that happens in these roads, irrespective of whose fault it’s only me and my poor taxi that gets the cane!). True to his words I noticed all the buses were blocking the roads. All of them were driving on the right and not one of them let the taxis pass no matter how much they honked! To top all limits of dadagiri one of the bus drivers even stopped in the middle of the main road to pick passengers!!(It wasn’t even a bus stop!) And no police said a word in protest.
Once I reached the famous railway station in Howrah, I was kind of relieved to be getting away from the place when I encountered this: A man urinating on the station building wall and another man coming from the opposite direction interrupting him angrily, “ki babu eita motar jayga?” (Translation: “what sir is this place for urinating?”), the creep scampered away tucking away his pants!

Totally disgusted! It is not a city of joy; rather it is a city of mindless, careless zombies! It doesn’t matter whether you are rich or poor, whether you own a car or bike, because the roads are ruled by buses and no one can escape them. So, one is better of complying. I could only look into their eyes and see emptiness, tiredness and surrender. Kolkata is not for those with weak stomachs. It is for the brave, strong and outspoken.

Disclaimer: This was just an observation and I do not have anything against Kolkata or its people. They are the sweetest! \m/

LOVE J
Yummy Fish Fries and Delicious Mishti Doi

ADITI

No comments:

Post a Comment